Imagine this situation.
The customer looks at your merchandise, it pleases her and the price too. She’s going to try the clothes in the fitting rooms. Will she buy?
If a client tries one product, it increases the chance of him buying that product. Specially if they are male clients.
A study in US showed 70% of the buying decisions took place in the fitting room. And 65% of men who carry jeans to the fitting room, buy them.
Fitting rooms are one of the most important places in your store. And fortunately for you, most retailers don’t know this. And some of them know this, but they don’t do much about that. You can do much better.
Tips on Fitting rooms
- They must be clean. This is pretty basic, but when we go to a store buying for ourselves, we find often dirty fitting rooms. Are you sure yours store’s fitting rooms are clean?
- The floor should not be cold, because your customers may have to take the shoes off. In a stone floor, or wood floor you should lay a carpet in winter.
- Must have at least two wall hooks or hangers. In case the fitting room is big enough, a bench or chair is needed.
- Should have a big mirror. With quality. It should stretch the image, but just a little. We don’t want to cheat the clients. But we want them to feel good.
- And also good lightning. It’s preferable a warm light (kind of yellow) and must have multiple directions, in order to avoid shadows. Retailers think lightening the body (below neck) is the only part that matters, but in reality it is more important to light the face in a way that favors the customer. And that’s why it’s important a warm light with no shadows to avoid to show wrinkles, acne, and so on. If the customer feels pretty, she’ll buy. Even if the clothes are not perfect.
- Make the customer smile or feel happy. A positive statement or a funny quote on the wall should do it.
Make a test. Calculate the percentage of customers that buy after having tried clothes. If this percentage is below 50%, try to understand what’s going on. Probably, there’s a problem with the clothes or with the fitting rooms.
- Tips for a clothing store counter desk
- 10 Ideas to get new customers to your store
- How to arrange a clothing store (sorting clothes)
- How to open a clothing business from home
- Guide for store employees uniforms for fashion stores